09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Monday, October 22, 2012

Main Street


A couple of people have suggested to me that I post about my little town.  I do tend to post  photos from every little venture away from my hometown.  Honestly, I am a little bashful to be walking around with a camera in town where everyone knows everyone else.  Saturday was the annual Fall Festival so I took the camera.



This orange car had the misfortune to be in a car show in Alabama on the Third Saturday of October.  I am not a football fan, but it was a sad (but typical) day for Vols fans.  I live with two of them, so have first hand knowledge :)




There is a chili cook-off every year.  Pay $2 and get a small cup of chili from each contestant and cast your vote.  It's a good and inexpensive lunch.



The two shots above and below are part of my "Utility Pole Series".  I intended to get another shot of our quaint main street from the other side of those poles, but forgot.  I don't even know why I took the above shot with those poles front and center.  Old timerz.


We have a brand new mural depicting our home along the Tennessee and Elk rivers.  Rogersville is known as "fisherman's paradise".  There are mountains in some locations along the Tennessee River, however, there are none in our area, so I'm not sure why there are mountains in our mural.

The old Coke sign got an update this year also.

More later :)






11 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i have always wanted to live in a town like this, my uncle did and i loved to go there, he lived in Collins GA, rural GA has a lot of towns like this one. my son lives in Copperhill TN south of you, and it looks a lot like yours. i would like the coke sign better faded. but that will happen from the sun after a while. thanks for the visit, i like it. and the pumpkin car

Brian King said...

Nice little town! I like the murals, especially the Coke mural. Very cool cars, too! The Vols can't be any worse than the Wildcats who are now 1-7.

betty-NZ said...

I get a bit shy about my town too, for some crazy reason. Yours seems like a lovely place.

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks like fun! and love that orange car. :-) We had an old car similar to that (except not in that good shape, but still cool) that the former owners of our farm left in the woods. Unfortunately, when we had a few trees logged off, the logging guys used the car as a football and then smashed it entirely. Was that part of the contract??? Anyway, love your photos. Sorry for whining. :-)

Farida said...

I have always been fascinated with murals and sometimes hope that my wall was painted differently so I could dream and visualize myself in a better place. Have a great week ahead :)

Gail Dixon said...

You live in such a charming locale! I'd love to be able to participate in a chili cookoff someday. As a tester, not a cooker. :) Looks like you had a lot of fun. I enjoyed the photos of your town. :)

Rose said...

We were in Rogersville on Sunday!!!! Not yesterday but the Sunday before. We did not stop for the festival but did see it...I had totally forgot. We were looking for a place to eat, and then took off for a drive through the country. I wonder if you were there...I don't remember just what time we were there but it was in the afternoon.

Unknown said...

Home Sweet Home! I like to look at all the scarecrows they have outside the businesses. Nice photos!

Anonymous said...

This is great! And I can relate to carrying the camera around. We have a cruise night several times during the summer and I have yet to go and take photos. Also, I don't believe there is one place on Main Street that I could photograph without a telephone pole or power line. Oh well, that's small towns for you!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How neat... I love seeing more about the towns/communities where my blog friends live. Love the pictures of your little town...

Aren't Chili Cookoffs wonderful???? YUM....

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you have had a wonderful week.
Hugs
Betsy

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Nice shots of your town.